ANP Carlisle September 09
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A place to meet far from the madding crowd.

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Hi everyone !

Go down 
+2
Jo Beaty
Admin
6 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Jo Beaty

Hi everyone ! - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: tetanus q's   Hi everyone ! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 18, 2010 5:26 am

Hi Girls - Melissa and I have been looking at the questions today. Obviously we don't think our answers are perfect but thought we'd share for the good of the group and so you all have an opportunity to tell us how thick we are!!

Part 1 - 1. Pre- procedure -anxiety and apprehension, post - lightheaded
2. temporary reversible block along nerve fibres, decreases permeability of axon cell membrane to sodium ions

Part 2 - 1. stiff jaw, pain, faint, weak, anorexia, trouble opening mouth
2. pain, stiff jaw (due to bruising/trauma of procedure
3. ?infection/inflammation, stiff jaw, muscle spasm etc
4. inflammation, infection, tetanus, cardiac, endocarditis, allergy,

Part 3. - 1.fever, rigid neck, dry mouth, grimace, locked jaw
2. muscle spasm
3. a. excitatory
b. grand postsynaptic potential is a composite of all excitatory and inhibitory potentials occurring at same time, ie temporal or spatial summation
c. increased so reach threshold
d. reduced so further away from threshold
5. block of release of inhibatory neurotransmitter from inhibitory presynaptic inputs - unchecked excitatory inputs so muscle spasm

Part 4 - 1. gag reflex
2. lock jaw/spasm
3. increased excitatory
4. not sure - haven't looked it up yet but think it may show if any existing antibody resistance to tetanus
5. think so as if no antibody res. immune system will kick in to deal with infection - if had antibodies would not react
6. BNF says metronidazole!!!!! But penicillin G IV or IM as bacterial infection
7. Mulch from garden on chair contaminating treatment room

Part 5. 1. skeletal muscle relaxant works on CNS
2. blocks ACh release, is the neurotransmitter allowing movement of muscle cells - very simple - our answers will be much more detailed!
3. reduction of dopamine in corpus striatum, upsets normal balance of inhib dopamine and excit acetylcholine neurotransmitters, prevents brain cells performing normal inhibitory function. Results in symptoms - tremor etc

Hope this helps or isn't too crap - please tell us what you think.

thank you

Melissa and Jo xx
Back to top Go down
sue jones

PostSubject: Re: Hi everyone !   Hi everyone ! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 19, 2010 1:28 am

Hi thought i had already replied..........god knows where it has gone!!!!!
Will have a gander at what I have so far and let you know if owt different.

Well done girls
Sue xxx
Back to top Go down
sue jones

PostSubject: Re: Hi everyone !   Hi everyone ! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 19, 2010 2:00 am

Hi Melissa and Jo,
Have checked with what I had and all similar just used different words........basic english for me!!!!
Thanks for giving brief description as I was struggling with neurotransmitters etc.
If i get anymore info will post asap.
Am away from 26th so mine will have to be in by then.
Sue xxx flower
Back to top Go down
manda

PostSubject: hi everyone   Hi everyone ! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 20, 2010 5:39 am

Thanks for the answers, Ive got the same but just a little more detail too. Relating to the penicillin question, metronidazole is the antibiotic of choice because penicillin has been found to increase muscular spasms ect, therefore if they needed IV penicillin theyd be more likely to be ventilated and on muscle relaxants in hospital so therefore the spasm are already being treated. On the subject of references ect I emailed David just to get a bit of clirification on the subject. This is his reply :-

Hi David

Does our online work for the next two weeks need to be referenced?

Thanks Mandy

Of course. There are 3 or 4 questions where referencing is approppriate Mandy - those where you are asked for physiological explanations. Keep it simple though.

best wishes

David

David Hepworth
Senior Lecturer in Biological Sciences
University of Cumbria
Royal Albert Annexe
Ashton Rd
Lancaster
LA1 5AL

Tel 01524 526619

Just in case your beating your heads against a brick wall looking for references!

see you all Thursday xx
cheers flower

Last edited by manda on Sat Mar 20, 2010 5:45 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
sue jones

PostSubject: Re: Hi everyone !   Hi everyone ! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 20, 2010 5:44 am

Just cos am been thick where do we put our refernces at the end???? do we just add on after last question or set off new page as it is to go back through blackboard isn't it?
They never do owt easy do they???
sue xx
Back to top Go down
manda

PostSubject: how do!   Hi everyone ! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 20, 2010 5:48 am

Nowts ever simple Sue lol confused . if it helps im listing me refs at the end, why change a habbit of a lifetime ! xx Smile
Back to top Go down
Jo Beaty

PostSubject: references   Hi everyone ! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 20, 2010 8:49 am

Hi Sue i'm not clever on computers either but what i intend to do - via my more clever children - is to cut and paste my answers onto his word document so each answer will be after each question and each one that has a reference will get it straight after the question, not right at the end. Hope that makes sense

Love Jo x
Back to top Go down
Jo Beaty

PostSubject: ref   Hi everyone ! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 20, 2010 8:50 am

Me again - that is obviously opposite to Mandy who is right we normally put them at end but don't think it matters so long as they are in there

Jo x
Back to top Go down
lynne morgan

PostSubject: Re: Hi everyone !   Hi everyone ! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 23, 2010 5:11 am

Hello Everyone!
I am here eventually!!!
Have not been able to even get onto blackboard or any other IT site for the university for a week so have been completely stressed out- Pauline has saved me yesterday and printed off the questions so I am now trying to get my head round them before going to work at dinner time!
Will tell you all the crack on Thursday- too long to say now!!
I have been thinking on the same lines but it is nice to know that we are all thinking the same and you are not on your own!
I think I will reference after each question but I don't know if that is right- probably not knowing my luck at the moment.....
See you all Thursday,
Lynne
Back to top Go down
manda

PostSubject: Re: Hi everyone !   Hi everyone ! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 23, 2010 6:14 am

HI I agree with Jo I dont think it makes a great deal of difference where they just just as long as they are there. Just got a message from blackboard off David apparently everypne else has been a bit confused about the refs too. He explains that you wont fail if there are none but we will obviously be marked down.

Hiya Lynne and welcome to our little oasis

See you all Thursday

Mandy
xx
Back to top Go down
Jo Beaty

PostSubject: thanks Mandy   Hi everyone ! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 23, 2010 9:23 am

just want to say thanks to Mandy for this site - its great for supporting each other I love it

Jo x Very Happy
Back to top Go down
sue jones

PostSubject: Re: Hi everyone !   Hi everyone ! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 23, 2010 1:14 pm

I would like to thank mandy and all the group for the support etc. am stressed........ nowt new there but am away at dublin for a hen weekend on saturday I can't wait.
See you all on Thursday.
Sue x x flower
Back to top Go down
manda

PostSubject: Re: Hi everyone !   Hi everyone ! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 25, 2010 6:26 pm

Hi everyone,

Your Welcome! Cool Im glad your finding it a source of support, makes it worthwhile. Ive just posted my answers on blackboard so thats one strss down lol.

However, I dont know if anyone has been rummaging on blackboard lately so Ill post it on here that theres more bleedng wuk to do for our next sesh with mark on the 15th April session 10 I think it is ->
affraid

Session 10 – Bring and Share some Written Evidence

Take some written text which presents some evidence on a therapeutic drug (not its pharmacology) that you see used in practice that you have obtained from a drug representative, internet site (other than NHS, SIGN or NICE) or a journal.

Construct responses to the following and either post them for discussion on your group forum (distance learners) or bring them to face-to-face session 10.

• What is the ‘bottom line’ presented by this evidence? This is one sentence which sums the whole thing up from your point of view.
• Does this ‘bottom line’ match with the perception and use of the drug either in practice or as recommended by NHS sources?
• In your opinion does this presentation involve any bias?
• How could this presentation of the evidence be improved?
• Remember to cite and reference the source.

Why are we doing this?

Learning Outcome 3 requires you to, ‘Critically evaluate the nature and quality of the evidence base in informing the adoption of pharmacological interventions’

Your summative assessment poster will include some text.

This exercise will;

• give you the opportunity to consider written forms of evidence
• allow you to consider how you might present the written evidence in your poster.

Where should I get my piece of evidence from?

You could ask a drug representative or contact a drug company for some information. You could utilise some of the online resources, external links or journal articles. If you are having trouble locating a suitable article then it may be that you could consider contacting LISS for assistance. You may wish to use some written evidence related to your chosen poster drug in order to engage with some formative discussion in your group and this is absolutely fine to do.

I find the bit at the bottom tickles me when it asks "Why are we doing this?" my sentiment exactly!

Have a lovely easter ladies albino and keep in touch (I plan to fit a cocktail or two in there drunken ) lol!

Mandy xxx Very Happy
Back to top Go down
sue jones

PostSubject: Re: Hi everyone !   Hi everyone ! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 26, 2010 3:50 pm

What you doing up at this time in the morning??? I was in bed snoozing my head off in slumber Sleep
You are a star you know for helping us with all the information its greatly appreciated Laughing
Am off to Dublin at 5.15am tomorrow for a week end of food and drink - looking forward to going away.
Happy Easter one and all albino
Sue xxx
Back to top Go down
lynne morgan

PostSubject: Re: Hi everyone !   Hi everyone ! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 09, 2010 5:59 am

Hi Everyone,
How are we all doing with the assignments!!!
I could think of better things to do at Easter.....
Haven't even looked at the poster presentation yet and have just realised how little time we have left for both assignments to be completed!!
I know...I am brilliant at bringing good news Rolling Eyes
Hope everyone is getting on better than me!!!
See you all soon,
Lynne
Back to top Go down
manda

PostSubject: Re: Hi everyone !   Hi everyone ! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 09, 2010 6:48 am

hiya Lynne

Im about halfway there with the pathophysiology one but finding it a right drag to do!, Ive done the background to the poster and thats about it lol

see you all soon

Mandy xx
Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
sue jones

PostSubject: Re: Hi everyone !   Hi everyone ! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 09, 2010 9:16 am

bloody hell you are way ahead of me anm not even half way there!!!!!! Crying or Very sad
have eventually decided on topic for pharmacology..............i think scratch
have a nurse off sick so covering, which means extra shifts which i don't want ot do so no time!!!!!!
role on 30th April all over and done with!!!!
c u next week
sue xxx
Back to top Go down
manda

PostSubject: Re: Hi everyone !   Hi everyone ! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 09, 2010 9:58 am

hi Sue cheers

How was Ireland? I bet the effects have worn off now eh?

Bloody essays! I was talking to a doc at work the other night and she said she could never do the sort of work we do for Uni !!

Begs the question why are we doing this when we are always on a lesser wage

onwards and upwards - only 8 months til christmas lol santa

Mandy xxx
Back to top Go down
sue jones

PostSubject: Re: Hi everyone !   Hi everyone ! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Apr 10, 2010 11:13 am

Hi Dublin was great cheers just really expensive!!!!! like youmy GP said he wouldn't be able to do the essays either.......not much help there then!!!!
I can't get to grips how quick time is going by.... i think it is my age though Question
looking forward to seeing everyone next week.
I presume your okay and nearly finished your 14 hours days Question
Sue xxx
Back to top Go down
manda

PostSubject: Re: Hi everyone !   Hi everyone ! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Apr 11, 2010 5:27 am

Hi Sue

yeah Im finishing on April 21st whether they like it or not lol ! the project manager wants us to go on until may 28th ......no way, im using up all my holidays to free me from workington as it is, and I want that little aspect called my life back lol Exclamation

TTFN cheers

mandy xx
Back to top Go down
manda

PostSubject: Re: Hi everyone !   Hi everyone ! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 15, 2010 11:48 am

Arachidronic acid
just click the link to see it

I suppose it looks like a dead spider (at a push) hahaha cheers

mandy xxx
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/7/74/Arachidonic_acid_structure.svg/620px-Arachidonic_acid_structure.svg.png
Back to top Go down
manda

PostSubject: Re: Hi everyone !   Hi everyone ! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed May 05, 2010 3:52 pm

Hi everyone and well done !

Ok heres the deal, we have the opportunity to study an extra module this summer. I came across this and thought that looks interesting, and Ive got nowt better to do hahahaa

take a look Laughing

One Day Accredited Course:
FREE for Full-time Students and £10 for Part-time Students at University of Cumbria

How do you raise the topic of alcohol consumption with individuals? How can you identify if alcohol is an issue? What advice do you give to help people to reduce their alcohol consumption?

Our one-day accredited course (NMLB 4009 - 20 credits at level 4) will prepare you to use alcohol identification screening tools and deliver brief advice within your practice.

Through the course you will:
• Enhance your understanding of alcohol misuse and its impact on health and well being
• Develop methods of raising the issue of alcohol consumption with patients/service users/carers
• Gain skills in how to conduct alcohol identification using the FAST and AUDIT screening tools
• Develop methods of providing alcohol-focused brief advice
• Gain an understanding of an alcohol care pathway and of local and national services

Gain 20 credits at level 4 through completion of an assessment on the day, plus a workbook.

Access the course at one of the following University of Cumbria venues (select one date):

18th May, Room AXB 014 or 16th June, Room AXB 003 in Lancaster
21 May, Room B3, 22nd June, Room B3 or 1st July, Room B4 in Carlisle
27th May, Room AN012 or 20th July, Room AN012 at Newton Rigg, Penrith
21 June or 22nd July in Barrow, University campus at Furness General Hospital

All courses start at 9.00am and finish at 4.30pm
Refreshments are not included but will be available to purchase on site.

How to Apply:
Complete and return the electronic application form that accompanied this flyer. Alternatively, for more information and an application form please contact the Professional Admissions Office: Tel: 01524 384604/384360 or email professionaladmissions@cumbria.ac.uk

now I know I sound barmy by suggesting this, but we have an advice giving station in our osces (knowing those before me its the advice station that ususally catches folk out !) so this would be good practice, a chance to brush up on skills, its only one day and a work book, and its only level 4....a breeze!

finally and this is my excuse i dont want to get out of the way of study and rest to the point that i dread coming back in september!

Should be fun and help our practice too, (need I say more without sounding like a sales person cheers )

Im going for the 1st July date in good old room B5

See you soon on here with some details on our practice stations, Sues on holiday until the 12th so I`ll get something organised then for us.

take care

Mandy xxx

ps you can access the details via blackboard -> BSc (Hons) / Graduate Diploma Advanced Practitioners September 2009
->documents
-> extra module affraid
Wink
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Hi everyone !   Hi everyone ! - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Hi everyone !
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
ANP Carlisle September 09 :: Your first category :: Hello and welcome !-