ANP Carlisle September 09
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A place to meet far from the madding crowd.

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Hi everyone !

Go down 
+2
Jo Beaty
Admin
6 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Admin
Admin

Hi everyone ! Empty
PostSubject: Hi everyone !   Hi everyone ! Icon_minitimeThu Jan 28, 2010 1:21 pm

Hello everyone just leave a reply in here just to let me know everythings working ok.

Mandy X What a Face
Back to top Go down
https://anp09.forumotion.com
Jo Beaty

Hi everyone ! Empty
PostSubject: Hi   Hi everyone ! Icon_minitimeFri Jan 29, 2010 5:02 am

Hi Mandy - have found it and if i can work my way through everyone else can - fantastic idea i'm so impressed

Love Jo x
ps Melissa has no internet but i'm getting wireless soon so she'll be able to lie in front of my fire with her lap top and log in!!
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin

Hi everyone ! Empty
PostSubject: Hi Jo   Hi everyone ! Icon_minitimeFri Jan 29, 2010 12:02 pm

Fantastic!

make sure she has a glass of wine in front of the fire with her haha!

If you go back to index and then into basket, Ive started some more threads off in there too.

mand xx
Back to top Go down
lynne morgan

Hi everyone ! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hi everyone !   Hi everyone ! Icon_minitimeSat Jan 30, 2010 4:29 am

Hi Mandy,
I'm very impressed!
I'm pleased that I have managed to find my way here!
Nice way to catch up with everyone,
Lynne
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin

Hi everyone ! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hi everyone !   Hi everyone ! Icon_minitimeSat Jan 30, 2010 5:44 am

Hiya Lynne
Nice to hear from you, glad you managed your way here!

So that's half of us so far only three more to go lol

Mandy xx
Back to top Go down
Jo Beaty

Hi everyone ! Empty
PostSubject: Hi   Hi everyone ! Icon_minitimeSat Jan 30, 2010 9:46 am

Hi Lynne and Mandy
Good to see someone else on here
Do either of you 2 know what we are meant to be doing?
Do we have any work to produce for either tutor?
I know about the poster but can't believe there's nothing before that
Also what is our first day back - is it 11th Feb for pharmacology??
I know its 26th Feb for patho - well i think!!!!

Love Jo x
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin

Hi everyone ! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hi everyone !   Hi everyone ! Icon_minitimeSat Jan 30, 2010 11:02 am

Hi Jo yeah Ive got some info for you,

Ive copied and pasted a page out of the physiology handbook on our assignment. I hope this is the one we`re meant to be doing lol

here it is:-

Assignment Guidelines
NMLB 6156 Assignment

You must meet each of the 4 learning outcomes below in order to pass the module. LO1 will be assessed by means of the online work that you will complete following the last of the online sessions.

LO’s 2,3 and 4 are assessed by means of the 3500 word written assignment detailed below.

Submission date for this assignment is (no later than 16.00 hrs) Monday 19th April 2010. See Assignment Submission in the Handbook for details of how to submit your assignment (note that this is being done exclusively through Turnitin for this module i.e. you will NOT need to submit an emailed copy as well). The University policy with regard to extensions and late submission is contained in Appendix 4.

Learning Outcome (LO’s)

1. Demonstrate a critical understanding of how systemic homeostasis is maintained by the constant monitoring and adjustment of events at cellular level
2. Critically reflect on the interplay between genetic and environmental factors and how these lead to homeostatic imbalances
3. Critically reflect on how alterations in homeostasis result in deviations from normal structure and/or function in these systems;
4. Evaluate how the treatment of a particular conditions / diseases might be achieved by the restoration of homeostasis.

The written assignment.

Select THREE different conditions that you are familiar with in your own area of practice and discuss each of them as a short “case study”. Each condition will therefore have a word count of approximately 1200. Aim to discuss each condition using learning outcomes 2,3 and 4 in turn. This will produce a logically ordered assignment in which you effectively have three attempts at passing each LO (2,3,4) having covered them separately in each of the three case studies.

For each case study briefly introduce the patient and the condition they presented with (50 - 100 words maximum). This is very brief and does not require a discussion in terms of the presentation or diagnosis nor the past medical history of the individual concerned – other than perhaps where it is directly relevant to the condition or the treatment.

Discuss the role of genetics and environmental factors in the pathogenesis of the disorder, exploring how the subsequent disruptions in homeostasis at cellular level herald the onset of the condition. This covers LO 2. Some conditions will obviously give you a better scope for discussing the interplay between BOTH genetic and environmental determinants in this process (and may therefore score more highly).

Link the pathogenic alterations at cellular level to the manifestations of the condition at systemic level, again with the focus on the disruption of homeostatic balance. This covers LO 3. As with most assignments at this level demonstrating your depth of understanding is the key to picking up marks, and in this respect you may choose to explore one particular aspect of the condition rather than aiming to cover all aspects. In this case it would be sufficient to briefly list or tabulate the range of pathogenic mechanisms relevant to a condition before letting the reader know that you are exploring one in detail.

As an example consider diabetes. The primary events (possibly !) relate to alterations in B cell functioning. The aspects that you might choose to discuss for LO3 could be the altered immune functioning that results in B cell damage (as in Type 1), or the derangements in receptor functioning associated with insulin resistance (as in Type 2). Alternatively you could look at systemic disruptions in carbohydrate, lipid and protein metabolism that occur as a result of Type 1 or Type 2. In the case of diabetes you would NOT want to be discussing the further downstream effects such as macro/micro vascular disease / renal / ocular complications and so on – you are getting away from the primary pathogenic events and as you try to cover these you will lose depth given the limited word count. There is of course no reason that you cannot cover these conditions – it is simply that your starting point would need to be different – the pathogenic mechanisms of renal damage in diabetes are not directly related to B cell dysfunction.

In order to cover L4 you then to look at how a particular treatment aims to restore homeostatic balance. Again depth of coverage will pick up more marks – so covering all aspects of management for diabetes potentially scores less well than looking at the mechanism by which specific biguanides work for example. If you were covering biguanides an account of the dosage and side effects would score less well than looking at exactly how the drug alters physiological functioning in order to re-establish homeostasis – again it is about keeping focus on the LO.

Alternatively (were you discussing diabetes !) you might choose to look at B cell transplantation as a means of restoring homeostatic balance, or you could look at specific dietary regimes that aim to maintain homeostasis with regard to plasma nutrient levels - topical subjects that would offer the opportunity to demonstrate your evaluative / analytical skills including innovative use of current research as you make your case (skills for which higher marks are awarded at this Level (see Appendix 5 for the Level descriptors).

You need to substantiate the case you are making with a decent range of supporting sources, and reference these appropriately using the Harvard system (see Cite Them Right).

Use double line spacing, size 12, Arial font see Appendix 8 for general tips for academic development and essay writing.

If you are uncertain about the direction you are taking with the assignment contact your tutor to discuss it – and ensure you do this in time.

I only came across this by just generally having a snoop around, its not like .....hello this bits important so we`d better put a link on the front page to make sure our students know about it sort of way. Ps I make 3 x 1200 as 3600 words...ooops!

To infinity and beyond !
Love Mandy xx
Back to top Go down
Jo Beaty

Hi everyone ! Empty
PostSubject: assignment   Hi everyone ! Icon_minitimeSat Jan 30, 2010 2:19 pm

Hi Mandy - where the hell did you find that??
There is nothing like that in the blue book is there?
It is actually very helpful and i had no idea the 1,000 word assignment was on line!
That isn't the e-mail we have to send to David now about conditions not fitting the 7 groups is it? Thats just a little exercise isn't it
Does it say when the on line 1000 word assignment is due?
I'm starting to get worried now!!
Thanks for this

Love Jo x
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin

Hi everyone ! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hi everyone !   Hi everyone ! Icon_minitimeSat Jan 30, 2010 2:36 pm

ok whats the 1000 word online essay???!!!???

are we on time or not arrgggghhhhhh

ok if you want to find the handbook for this Jo, go to

NMLB 6156 Human Health and Pathophysiology -> Handbook -> then I think the next one is assignments, but the link is broken tonight for me

Then I believe after the online sessions when were back in classs thats when we submit our online work

clear as mud eh?

Love Mandy xx
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin

Hi everyone ! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hi everyone !   Hi everyone ! Icon_minitimeSat Jan 30, 2010 3:35 pm

AHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Somethings just clicked here,

right the 3500 & 1000 essays are our assessed assignments and are not connected to the online work we`re doing now.

The online work we`re doing now is just groundwork for the lessons when were back in class.

"Your final exercise in this section is to try to think of a condition that does not (or is difficult) to fit into the 7 categories of pathological insult. You might include a short rationale justifying your thinking, and email it to David. This isn’t obligatory – it is no more than an attempt to get you thinking about what you have learned – and David will try to liaise with / discuss any conditions that you come up with."

The 1000 word essay will be submitted on blackboard when were back in class, it will be running alongside the 3500 word assignment (which is 3 short case studies) which in due in, in April
heres the descriptor form which can be found in the appendices in the physiology handbook on blackboard

Faculty of Health, Medical Sciences and Social Care
School of Nursing and Midwifery
Module Title: Human Health and Pathophysiology. Module Code: NMLB6156
Date (i) validated: (i) May 2009 Date amended via FASC:
(ii) revalidated: (ii)
NQF Level: 6 CAT credits: 20
Campus/Site: All University of Cumbria Campuses and Sites Module Leader: David Hepworth
Teaching staff: Dr Mike Walsh, David Hepworth, John Campbell
Mode(s) of delivery: Flexible Distributed Learning; Full-time, Part-time Start date: Sept 2009
Owning Programme / School (optional): LBIR Portfolio of Programmes Available as a stand alone module Yes

Aims of the Module

To enable students develop their understanding of both normal and abnormal body function.

Intended Learning Outcomes

On completion of this module students will be able to:

1. Demonstrate a critical understanding of how systemic homeostasis is maintained by the constant monitoring and adjustment of events at cellular level
2. Critically reflect on the interplay between genetic and environmental factors and how these lead to homeostatic imbalances
3. Critically reflect on how alterations in homeostasis result in deviations from normal structure and/or function in these systems;
4. Evaluate how the treatment of a particular conditions / diseases might be achieved by the restoration of homeostasis.

Indicative Module Content

Cellular to systemic homeostasis as a well co-ordinated multi-system response. Genetic predisposition and environmental influences that disrupt homeostatic control. Conditions that commonly develop as a result of these imbalances and the effect of restoring homeostatic balance.

Indicative Student Workload

Flexible Distributed Learning

Interactive learning activities
30 Hrs

Assessment preparation time
50 Hrs

Directed and Private Study
120 Hrs

Assessment Plan

Method of Assessment
Wordage/ Hourage ILOs Assessed Weight (%)
Case Study 3500 2,3,4 75%
Group work 1000 word equiv 1 25%

Both assessments must be passed.

Reassessment

Reassessment in the failed component(s) will be as stated in the Academic Regulations

Indicative Core Bibliography

Grahame-Smith, DG & Aronson,JK. (2002) Oxford Textbook of Clinical Pharmacology and Drug Therapy [3rd Ed] Oxford : Oxford University Press
McCance, K. Huether, S. (2006) Pathophysiology: The Biological Basis for Disease in Adults and Children [5th Ed] London : Mosby
Montague,S. Watson, R. Herbert, R. (2005) Physiology for Nursing Practice [3rd Ed] London : Bailliere Tidally
Porth, C. (2007) Essentials of Pathophysiology: Concepts of Altered Health States [2nd Ed] London : Lippincott
Rang, H. Dale, M. (2007) Pharmacology [6th ed] London: Churchill Livingstone
Tortora, G. Derrickson, B. (2009) Principles of Anatomy and Physiology [12th Ed] Hoboken : Wiley

www.anatomy.tv
www.biology.arizona.edu
www.geocities.com
www.mdchoice.com
www.medlib.med.utah.edu

Additional Notes

The Coursework assessment will require the student to demonstrate how correcting deviations in homeostasis is effective in treating / correcting a range of diseases / conditions.
Scenarios will be developed to support student learning.

• To be eligible to study this module students should be able to benefit from its study and commit to attempting the assessment items.
• Where this module is accessed as part of a specific award, students should focus the assessments towards that award.
• Successful completion of this module will confer eligibility for a Certificate of Achievement.

Hope this helps, were on the right track chick
phew lol
love mandy xx
Back to top Go down
Jo Beaty

Hi everyone ! Empty
PostSubject: phew!   Hi everyone ! Icon_minitimeSat Jan 30, 2010 4:47 pm

thank you - so nothing to worry too much about right now as they won't know whether we have read the 100 or so pages or not - just have to pay attention next time in class so we are clear about assignments as at end of the day they are what we have to pass

Love Jo x
Back to top Go down
sue jones

Hi everyone ! Empty
PostSubject: hello   Hi everyone ! Icon_minitimeSun Jan 31, 2010 4:38 am

Jo Beaty wrote:
thank you - so nothing to worry too much about right now as they won't know whether we have read the 100 or so pages or not - just have to pay attention next time in class so we are clear about assignments as at end of the day they are what we have to pass

Love Jo x
Back to top Go down
sue jones

Hi everyone ! Empty
PostSubject: hello   Hi everyone ! Icon_minitimeSun Jan 31, 2010 4:39 am

this is sue.........eventually arrived Surprised
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin

Hi everyone ! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hi everyone !   Hi everyone ! Icon_minitimeSun Jan 31, 2010 4:50 am

wooooooooooooooooo well done Sue you did it, there should be no stopping you now lass !

Love mandy xx
cheers
Back to top Go down
lynne morgan

Hi everyone ! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hi everyone !   Hi everyone ! Icon_minitimeSun Jan 31, 2010 9:42 am

Hi everyone,
Thanks for that information Mandy- I'm pleased someone knows what to do!
This on-line work is all a little confusing for me- doesn't take much these days!!!!
Been trying to look through all the information and ended up going roller blading with my 2 youngest kids- it was the better option at the time! I'll probably regret it later but you still need to have some sort of life- not that I know what that is any more; its bad when you get excited about roller blading!!!!!!!!
Back to it now,
see you all soon,
Lynne
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin

Hi everyone ! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hi everyone !   Hi everyone ! Icon_minitimeTue Feb 02, 2010 11:51 am

Hi everyone,

Just to let you know just in case, weve some work to do to bring into uni for session 6 here it is :-

Session 6 – Bring and Share a Visual Representation

Take a diagram, table or graph which presents some evidence on a therapeutic drug (not its pharmacology) that you see used in practice and;

Construct responses to the following and either post them for discussion on your group forum (distance learners) or bring them to face-to-face session 6.

• Tell us the story the diagram, table or graph is telling you.
• Point out any possible bias that might arise from the diagram, graph or table.
• How could the diagram, table or graph be misinterpreted?
• Why has the source decided to present the data in this way?
• Do you think the data could be better presented? If so how?
• Remember to cite and reference the source.

Why are we doing this?

Learning Outcome 3 requires you to, ‘Critically evaluate the nature and quality of the evidence base in informing the adoption of pharmacological interventions’

Your summative assessment poster will include diagrams, illustrations, tables, graphs or all of these types of visual representation.

This exercise will;

• give you practice at cutting and pasting diagrams from sources or drawing diagrams from sources.
• allow you to consider what types of data representations you could usefully include in your poster.
• will allow you to consider how to orally articulate the meaning of a visual representation which will again be useful in considering what you might usefully include on your poster and prepare you for the oral component of the assessment.

Where should I get my visual representation from?

You could utilise some of the online resources, external links or journal articles. If you are having trouble locating a suitable article then it may be that you could consider contacting LISS for assistance. You may wish to use a visual representation that you are considering for use on your poster to gain some formative feedback and this is absolutely fine to do.

mandy xx
Back to top Go down
Jo Beaty

Hi everyone ! Empty
PostSubject: assignments   Hi everyone ! Icon_minitimeThu Feb 04, 2010 8:42 am

Hi Everyone Jo and Melissa here again

Just worrying/wondering when the last on-line session is as that's when the 1000 word essay is due on line!!!

None of seem to have much idea of what's going on this term except perhaps not enough in our camp - more chat less work etc

Melissa says be happy don't worry!

Can't wait to see everyone

Love us 2 xx
Back to top Go down
Jo Beaty

Hi everyone ! Empty
PostSubject: assignment   Hi everyone ! Icon_minitimeThu Feb 04, 2010 11:12 am

Hi everyone again!

Have received an e-mail back from Bev - course administrator - who also couldn't find a date for the first assignment so she has copied David Hepworth into our e-mail

Will keep you posted, Melissa and i worked out that if last term's first one was due in after 5-6 weeks then this one should be due next week - which we think would be a little unfair in the circumstances!!

Having thought about that - the module didn't start til 26th Jan so end of Feb seems more likely

Love Jo x pale
Back to top Go down
Jo Beaty

Hi everyone ! Empty
PostSubject: pharmacology   Hi everyone ! Icon_minitimeThu Feb 04, 2010 2:52 pm

Hi Mandy

Thanks for that - i had no idea!!

Where do you find all this crap from??

I'm obviously not reading the right blackboard pages!!

Will now spend tomorrow looking at this, was going to clean bathroom and bedrooms - not sure which is worse as the boys' rooms should have government health warnings attached!

I've been called into work short notice -ie at 6.20 so got here at 7 - there were 4 patients waiting and the docs sitting upstairs waiting for me to come in!!! It takes a lot to get me cross but i was WAY beyond cross! Phoned Morag in a strop!

Thanks agsain for the pharmacology homework

see you soon

Jo xx
Back to top Go down
sue jones

Hi everyone ! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hi everyone !   Hi everyone ! Icon_minitimeFri Feb 05, 2010 1:26 pm

Just as well you have set this up Mandy cos I would be up shit creak without a paddle.........well I am anyway confused I think the tutors are getting paid loads fro doing nowt!!!!!
looking foreward t seeing everyone.......will bring flap jack.
Sue xxxx
Back to top Go down
Jo Beaty

Hi everyone ! Empty
PostSubject: assignment   Hi everyone ! Icon_minitimeSun Feb 07, 2010 5:01 am

Hi All

I've had an e-mail back from david hepworth, there is no date for 1000 word assignment yet - apparently we have 2 more on line sessions - deep joy - and he will probably attech it to the first one of those. Something to look forward to!!!!! No ides when they are so don't know if we should be in panic mode or not

Love Jo x
Back to top Go down
mhpughu1

Hi everyone ! Empty
PostSubject: HELLO EVERYONE   Hi everyone ! Icon_minitimeWed Feb 10, 2010 2:29 am

Hiya, am up and running in a fashion!! This looks so fab am impressed that i have even logged on to it!!

I shall see you all next thursday as i am unable to make uni tomorrow - more important things to do!!! lol! farao I love you

Arrow

Laughing

cyclops

Rolling Eyes

lol!

lol!

lol!

This is great fun!!!

See you all very soon x x x
Back to top Go down
sue jones

Hi everyone ! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hi everyone !   Hi everyone ! Icon_minitimeSun Feb 14, 2010 5:02 am

Hi all only me to say it was lovely to catch up on thursday with everyone it seems ages since we all had good crack and moan!!!!! looking forward to your crack melissa too!!!! flower
I thought Mark was lovely and made me feel at ease.........or is he lulling us into a false sense of security????? lol!
am off this week so doing nothing but visiting folk and coffeeing!!!!!!
sue xx
Back to top Go down
Jo Beaty

Hi everyone ! Empty
PostSubject: Hi   Hi everyone ! Icon_minitimeMon Feb 15, 2010 5:13 am

Hi Sue
Also off this week

No Mark is lovely and doing a viva with him doesn't feel too much like an exam

Also off this week, also doing nothing, except catching up with friends and going to sunny Stockton to see Kate

See you all Thursday

Jo x
Back to top Go down
Jo Beaty

Hi everyone ! Empty
PostSubject: assignment   Hi everyone ! Icon_minitimeFri Feb 19, 2010 7:28 am

Hi Girls

have any of you seen the note from David on blackboard under assignments saying the first one is just exercises done on blackboard - can't find any details of what he actually wants or when for

Has anyone else???

Love Jo x
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Hi everyone ! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hi everyone !   Hi everyone ! Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Hi everyone !
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
ANP Carlisle September 09 :: Your first category :: Hello and welcome !-
Jump to: